For the Peppers:
- 8 smaller bell peppers
- 0.5 cup rice
- .75 lbs ground beef
For the sauce:
- 1 large can of crushed and 1 large can of diced tomatoes
- teaspoon of sugar (to taste)
- basil, rosemary, oregano (fresh or dry)
- olive oil
- Bring the tomatoes (or the canned tomato) to a short boil with a bit of salt and pepper. If the sauce is too tart, add a teaspoon of sugar. At the end of cooking, add olive oil and spices to taste.
- Cut out the center of the peppers and discard.
- Boil rice, but do not cook all the way through. Cool. Add the cooked rice to the ground beef. Add salt and pepper and fill the peppers with the mixture.
- Oil the baking dish lightly and pour the sauce in. Nestle the peppers into the sauce.
- Bake at 400F for about an hour. Turn the peppers a couple of times during cooking.
- At the end, add olive oil and fresh basil and parsley if you wish.
- Serve with sour cream and mashed potatoes.